Sun Life Financial UpTown Waterloo Jazz Festival –
Festival Marketing Assistant
Application Deadline: May 26, 2017
Term: 9 weeks starting June 5, 2017
Salary: $11.40/hr x 30 hrs/week
This position is ideal for a dynamic individual equally comfortable working as part of a team and independently. The applicant will be encouraged to bring their ideas to the table and test their validity in the festival marketplace.
The applicant will work closely with the Festival Manager and Marketing Director to assist in marketing the festival to the local community. You can expect to hone your business skills, experience and participate in committee work and contribute to the accessibility of jazz to all community members regardless of financial status.
You will be a part of a team but will be expected to work independently on identified tasks. Hours will be flexible reflecting the ebb and flow of a festival as some nights and evenings will be required.
Specific duties will include:
- Support the development, implementing and monitoring of a social media plan in conjunction with the Festival Manager and Social Media Director
- Assist in development of messages and language to targeted audiences, in particular those 18 to 40 years of age
- Assist in developing, implementing and analyzing a Festival exit survey
- Oversee Jazz Week, a community engagement project created in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the UpTown Waterloo Jazz Festival.
- Update social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with Social Media Director
- Perform miscellaneous administrative and marketing tasks/duties as required
- Attend monthly committee meetings and board meetings
- Work with the marketing team to coordinate and assist with the planning, production and tracking of all campaigns and programs
- Create and maintain reports to monitor and track the success of marketing programs
- Support marketing and sales staff in various activities and projects as required
- Coordinate with agencies and other third parties for advertisements, press releases and articles with Marketing Director and Social Media Director
- Participate in review and updating of Risk Management Plan, particularly in the area of media relations.
The successful applicant will report directly to the Festival Manager and through the Festival Manager to the Chair of the Board of Directors. This position gives an opportunity for a confident student to enhance and extend existing skills but is also a good introductory position within the field of festival and/or event planning.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- The ability to be self-motivated and to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong work ethic, sense of initiative, problem-solving and a sense of humour
Desired level of education: Post-Secondary
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. In order to be eligible for this position, applicants MUST:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
To apply, send a letter outlining why you want this job and what you believe you can contribute with a copy of your resume to: